Eyelid surgery, also known as blepharoplasty, is an incredibly popular procedure. It was performed over 325,000 times in the last year alone — and it shows no sign of falling out of favor. Here are some pros and cons to consider when deciding if blepharoplasty is a good fit for you.
Pros of Blepharoplasty
Eyelid surgery offers many benefits, including that it:
- Helps your eyes look younger and less tired: Your eyes are one of the first places to show signs of aging. And aging eyelids can cause a tired, angry, or sad appearance. Cosmetic eyelid surgery can combat these changes to restore a more approachable look.
- Can be customized to meet your needs: Eyelid surgery can be performed on the upper eyelids, lower eyelids, or both. Whether you’re dealing with hooded eyelids, undereye bags, loose skin, or another concern, this procedure may be a great solution.
- Corrects impaired vision caused by sagging skin: Loose or sagging skin on the upper eyelids can sometimes creep into your line of sight. If that happens, eyelid surgery can tighten it to restore unobstructed vision.
- Has a fairly easy recovery period: It’s a good idea to set aside two weeks of downtime, though you may feel ready to return to work or attend social events even sooner. It depends on the extent of your surgery. In most cases, blepharoplasty recovery is straightforward and uneventful.
Cons of Blepharoplasty
Blepharoplasty can come with a few potential drawbacks, including that:
- You may experience side effects: Swelling and bruising are normal and to be expected after surgery. You may also experience dry eye or irritation. These side effects are typically mild and temporary.
- Your surgeon can overdo it: Removing too much eyelid skin or fat during surgery will create a poor outcome. You can prevent this from happening by choosing a qualified surgeon who knows how to achieve great results. Dr. Sean Weiss is double board-certified and specializes in facial plastic surgery.
- Maintaining your results requires some aftercare: You can enjoy your awake and refreshed look for many years after eyelid surgery. However, the natural aging process will continue. Protect your results with simple measures like wearing sunscreen and avoiding nicotine.
Find Out What You Can Expect
There may be other pros and cons that are unique to your situation. If you want to learn more about what you can expect, schedule a consultation with board-certified facial plastic surgeon Dr. Sean Weiss at 504-814-3223. Our practice serves women and men from Metairie, New Orleans, Mandeville, and nearby areas of Louisiana.
You must be logged in to post a comment.