Vitamin C is a potent antioxidant commonly found in citrus fruits. While you probably know this nutrient for its impressive health benefits, you might not realize it can have an incredible effect on your skin too. Here are six reasons to add a topical vitamin C product to your daily routine:
- Brighten your complexion: Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is a gentle exfoliant. It removes dead skin cells for a fresh and radiant look. If you want to avoid harsh physical scrubs, this dullness-fighting ingredient should be on your radar.
- Prevent and fade dark spots: Dealing with hyperpigmentation and age spots? Vitamin C is an effective skin-lightening agent. This ingredient combats brown discoloration by interfering with an enzyme responsible for producing melanin.
- Fight visible aging: Collagen is to thank for firm and youthful skin. Not only does vitamin C boost collagen production, but its antioxidant properties also prevent this skin-friendly protein from breaking down. It’s a great choice if you’re looking to diminish the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
- Increase skin hydration: If you have dry skin, you know that it can be uncomfortable, flaky, and rough. Vitamin C might be the perfect solution. This ingredient is clinically proven to help skin retain water for a smooth and plump complexion.
- Minimize redness: Many different factors can cause red and blotchy skin. But thanks to vitamin C, you don’t have to live with it. Vitamin C minimizes redness and even helps heal stubborn broken capillaries.
- Reduce skin damage: Vitamin C combats exposure to free radicals. Free radicals are caused by environmental stressors such as pollution and UV rays. Pair this ingredient with a broad-spectrum sunscreen like Elta MD to double down on skin protection.
It’s easy to see why so many skin care enthusiasts swear by topical vitamin C. Our New Orleans patients also love that it can enhance the results of their professional treatments and procedures.
If you’re looking for a new product to try, Obagi has several Vitamin C products in the form of serums, masks, and moisturizers. Our office will gladly help you build the perfect skin care regimen.
Call Sean Weiss Facial Plastic Surgery at 504-814-3223 to get started. We serve Metairie, New Orleans, and the surrounding areas of Louisiana.